Friday, January 10, 2014

Operation Sister Share:Polka Dot Focal Wall

Happy Friday, everyone!  Aren't you glad it's the weekend?  

I finally got the ball rolling on a project this week: converting my girls' separate bedrooms into one shared bedroom and playroom. After being in our home for a year and a half, I know that this is the best use of space for my girls.  They will not sleep in separate rooms. Period. End of story.  So Operation Sister Share is now fully underway. 

Here's a reminder of what we started with when we moved in, in the room that will now be shared. (It was Ashlyn's room):



And here is what it looked like after: 
Whimsicle Bedroom 

I got the room cleared and started painting over the tree.  Good riddance, tree. Nice knowing you!



So, this is the reality of my girls' sleeping arrangements for the past couple of months. Ashlyn camped out on the floor in Katlyn's room.  I started back in late October/early November trying to get started on this project, and with all of the holidays, I just couldn't get it done. 

I'm so excited to share with you what I got done this week: the focal wall. It looks amazing.


I decided to do large polka dots on one wall of the room.  I am trying to keep this whole bedroom switcharoo as budget friendly as possible, so I am not painting the whole room, just the wall where the tree was.  I bought a quart of white paint, and that added with the white paint I already had was enough to paint the wall. 


I started by making a template by tracing a bowl onto cardboard, then using the template to randomly draw polka dots on the wall. I didn't want symmetrical.  I wanted a random pattern.  I then filled in the polka dots with an angle brush.  They aren't absolutely perfect, but I like that about them. 

*I want to apologize for the awful pictures.  I took tons of pictures and the lighting is awful in all of them!  Hopefully I can figure out how to remedy that for future posts.



It's hard to tell, but those dots are gray.  I can't tell you exactly what color because I mixed it myself.  I had small amounts of a few grays left over from other projects and mixed them together so I wouldn't have to buy more paint. I then added white or black until I got the hue I liked.  Yay for using what you have and saving money!




It doesn't look like a very large wall, but that is where both of the girls' twin beds, which I will pick up today, will go.  Also there will be a nightstand in between and a little room spare.  

I will be revealing projects from Operation Sister Share one at a time as I get them finished. I will include tutorials on any DIY projects I do, so be sure to check back! 



Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget