Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Weigh-In Wednesday #1

Whoo-hoo! Hump Daaaayy!  So excited for the very first Weigh-In Wednesday!  The fact that I am doing this on a Wednesday is a very significant thing for me.  In the past, I was always going to start a diet on Monday.  Then I'd blow it and the perfectionistic side of my personality would say, "If you can't do it exactly right, just start when you can do it right."  Therefore, if I started a diet on Monday and blew it at lunch that day, I was just done!  If I couldn't be perfect, then I might as well eat what I want for the rest of the day because I already messed up. Then came Tuesday, and I would say, "I may as well start next Monday so I can do it right."  

Totally the wrong mindset to have, but I have had that little internal dialog with myself too many times to count. I mean, it's always diet day on Monday, right? 

A couple of months ago, I spoke with my pastor and he told me to not live week to week when it comes to health choices. Not even day to day.  He said to take it meal by meal. Moment by moment.  If I slip up, don't let it blow the entire day.  I really took that to heart. I don't naturally do that, so it is something I have had to be mindful of.  

I don't know if you guys noticed last week when I spilled my guts, but I didn't tell you my starting weight.  I weighed first thing that morning to get my starting weight and I just couldn't bring myself to type it.  I was already putting myself out there more than I ever have to so many people, and I couldn't do it.  

But, I am ready now.  What a difference a week makes!  I have a positive mindset and have seen results.  I am finally crawling up out of the quicksand. 


Day 1: 304.2 lbs.

I got J to snap this picture before my morning walk last Wednesday.  


Day 8 (Today): 294 lbs.


10.2 pounds down!! In a week! Whoo-hooo!  Looking at these pics, I think I can tell in my face and chin area. But at any rate, I feel like I have accomplished something.  I have not cheated all week, and have actually found recipes that are healthy and flavorful that I love.  

Let me just say that I have not been counting calories.  I have not been measuring my food. I haven't been counting points. I have been eating foods that are not processed. I have been eating lean meats, vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats. No breads for now. No grains or starchy foods like rice or white potatoes. No sodas. Lots of water. Basically, my body has been on detox for a week now.

 I am generally following the Maker's Diet, which is eating foods in the state that God created them. (However, some things that are recommended I just can't do.....the author suggests goat's milk and cheese instead of cow's.  I couldn't find goat's milk, but did get some goat's cheese and it isn't something that I want to eat very often. I have had cow's cheese and greek yogurt this past week.)  Now, it would be extremely difficult for me to explain everything about The Maker's Diet. But, I would encourage anyone to read it, not only for weight loss, but for overall optimum health.     



You can order it here.


Source

 I know my body. I know that I need to abstain from high glycemic index carbs in order to lose weight.  But, low glycemic index carbs are fine. I had sweet potatoes twice this past week, case in point. I did have headaches the first few days of not having soda, but after I pushed through that, I feel much better!  Eating fruits and veggies and nothing processed or refined has made me feel lighter, even.  Like I'm not weighed down by so much junk.  You know, that "blah" feeling you get when you eat too much junk or drink too much soda is gone. 

Exercise:
(Couldn't find the source for this)
This past week, I didn't go crazy with the exercising just yet. I walked most days, a couple of those days two and a half to three miles.  I also lifted free weights a couple days and did squats and wall push-ups.  

I have an ankle that gives me fits if I do too much, so I plan to stay with walking and free weights until I get some more weight off of the knees and ankles. I look forward to running again!

Again, I wanted to thank you all for your support!  I have been showered with prayers and well wishes and I truly do appreciate them all!  I heard from a lot of people, some I have never met.  I had so many tell me that my story sounds just like them. That they struggle with the exact same things. Please know that I am praying for you guys, as well.  I would love to you all succeed. 

So, how has this past week gone for you health-wise?  Any small victories we can celebrate!  Leave a comment and let me know!

*To view the post that started the weight-loss journey, click here.



10 comments:

  1. Amanda - you are such an inspiration to me. I stumbled upon your blog through Pinterest and connected with your thoughts immediately. You are stunningly beautiful. I'm a very active person but have struggled with eating habits my entire life. I'm really excited to watch your journey and progression, and please know that I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am excited to see where this journey takes me!

      Delete
  2. So proud of you! 10 lbs in one week is a lot. I have found that the more I do, the more I can do. I'm still doing crossfit and loving it. I have a long way to go to get to my goal but am on the right track. Keep it up! You know you won't regret it. Maybe I'll see you at CrossFit Andalusia some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd love to try Crossfit out! Maybe soon. :)

      Delete
  3. So proud of you 10 lbs is great! I am going to try and lose to but like you said it's so hard..Keep up the good work and can't wait to see what you do next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10 lbs!!! Woooohooooo! That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, Amanda!!! That is amazing in one week! Awesome! Keep it up! You can do it, you're off to a wonderful start. Don't slack up! You're rocking this!

    ReplyDelete

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...