Monday, September 08, 2014

When is it Okay to Decorate For Fall?



Last week, one of my friends asked me when it was okay to decorate for fall. Like me, she is ready to get the season kicked off with some pumpkins and mums, to usher in the season with Pumpkin Spice Lattes and warm mugs of apple cider. And for goodness sake, ready to see some cooler weather. 


When to decorate for fall is a very good question for us in the deep south.  While we see mums arriving at stores, it's still 95 degrees outside and as humid as Satan's sauna.  It can be disconcerting to begin embracing things that are associated with cooler weather, and yet, still be able to drive to the sandy white beaches of the Gulf, take a dip in the ocean, and arrive back home to our pumpkin bedecked porches while we are sporting a fresh sunburn. Even as late as October, our fickle southern weather is known to swing like a pendulum from cool and crisp to downright hot. Touché, fickle southern weather, touché.

Mixed Metallics Fall Centerpiece

To me, fall arriving is like embracing an old friend that you haven't seen in years, but you pick up right where you left off the last time you saw each other. It's familiar and cozy and like coming home. I eagerly await this season every year. 

Fabric-covered Pumpkin Wreath
So, do you want to hear what I told my friend? My take on the question she posed to me? It's not some great enlightenment or an astounding insight. It's simple. "As soon as you are ready, go for it!" When I see the mums arriving at the stores, or when it hits September first, it's on!


Fall Vignette

I don't think there is some unwritten rule that says you have to wait until certain time to decorate for fall. As soon as September first gets here, I am chomping at the bit get busy. I am already planning and scheming about what I am going to do to make my home fall-fabulous, in spite of the heat and humidity.

Fall Front Porch

Fall Window Box

Little Pumpkin Baby Shower

Dried Hydrangea Wreath



I know that this may vary from person to person, or even depending on what area of the country you live. I'd like to know.....when do you decorate for fall?  Are you like me and can't wait to get busy as soon as September gets here or do you like to wait until later? 

Linking up to:
WYWW



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...