Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Weigh-In Wednesday #4

Hello, everyone.  I hope all is well with you.  We are recovering from being sick around here.  My girls both missed two days of school last week and by the end of the week J and I both were under the weather (J had it earlier in the week than I did.)  Gotta love winter colds/allergy attacks or whatever we had.   Glad to be better. 

Well, today is weigh-in number four!  It has been a whole month!  I have a smile on my face right now.  And maybe some tears in my eyes.  It has been a really long time since I have consistently eaten healthy for this long.  I feel freer, lighter, in a better place not only physically but also spiritually and emotionally.   There have been some outward changes, but I think the most significant changes at this point have been inward. 

I mentioned last week that I wanted to step up in the fitness area.  I tried without success to find a CrossFit class that I could fit into my schedule.  The ones offered here in my itty bitty hometown aren't at a time that I can attend.  And I enjoy aerobics classes, but the Zumba classes I would have to attend at the next town over aren't at a time I could go either, mainly because of J's work schedule.  So, I stepped up my strength training at home.   

We have a Bowflex type weight machine at home, so J and I worked out on it.  I have to say that it isn't my favorite thing in the world.  I would rather have free weights, a bar, and a bench to do all my strength training with.  I think J feels the same.  We may go that route soon.  We also looked at an eliptical machine, which is one of my favorite things to workout on.  We may go that route as well.  


I also started running this past week.  I loved it. I used to run when I was smaller and I always enjoyed it and the sense of accomplishment I got from it.  I kind of did it on a whim.  I was walking one night and just starting running.  It surprised me how much I liked it.  It isn't easy at my weight, and I definitely couldn't do much, but it was a start. And it felt good.  I  have run three times since last weigh-in and each time I have run longer.  I will continue building up my endurance.  I am thankful that I found something that I enjoy and actually look forward to doing. 

Here is an excerpt from my fitness log this past week showing the strength training and cardio.  I am trying to build lean muscle so I can burn more calories. 

Fitness Log Excerpt:
Wed., Nov. 13-- 20 side lunges (both legs), 50 squats holding 4 pound weights, 10 front lateral raises, 10 side lateral raises, 50 bicep curls, 20 tricep raises---all with 4 pound weights. 
Mon., Nov. 18 --60 minutes walking/jogging, Upper body strength training with higher weight, less reps

After one of my run/walks. It started drizzling/raining on me.  I just pulled up my hoodie and kept going. I was soaked when I got finished. But I loved every minute of it. 

As far as nutrition, I am still trucking along. I haven't even allowed myself a "cheat meal."  With Thanksgiving coming up, I am a little nervous about all that temptation, but I decided that before I go to eat with our family, I will decide what I will allow myself to eat.  Then, I will tell Jared and he will hold me accountable.  I don't want to do without completely, but I don't want to gorge myself either. 

I am still watching my carbs.  I'm not totally doing without them, just only eating those on the low glycemic index; the good carbs. 



When I weighed this morning, the scale had not budged from last week.  I am disappointed and a little frustrated about it.  I haven't eaten anything outside of my set guidelines. I have excercised.  Not sure how I didn't lose any weight. Maybe it is one of those plateau weeks. I don't know.  BUT, I didn't gain it overnight and I won't lose it overnight.  And just like Dori says, "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming."  That's what I'll do. I will say, though, that my clothes are fitting more loosely.  I started noticing it this past week and so did J.  It won't be long before I will be able to go down a size.  I may not have lost weight, but I lost inches for sure.  There are very noticeable differences in the way my clothes fit.

What I lost this month:  
14 pounds!  Whoo-hoo! Starting weight 304 and current weight 290.  14 pounds in a month is good. 

What I gained this month:  
* A sense of accomplishment
* A new appreciation for my husband's unconditional love for me
* A more positive outlook
* Freedom from feeling like I was controlled by food
* Freedom from cravings that are unhealthy (i.e. sodas, baked goods, etc. I now really crave water and fruits and veggies)
* An appreciation for the natural "high" I get from exercise. 
* Freedom from binges
* Accountability (from you guys.....thank you so much!)
* Some of the real me back
* A new appreciation that God does what He says He will do and that when He tells us that we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength, He wasn't kidding. 

So, how are you guys doing?  I heard from a lot of you at the beginning of the month and you wanted to jump on the bandwagon to being healthy.  How is it going for you?  Any struggles? Victories?  I say any small victory is worth celebrating!  Sometimes, throughout the day, I may think of the small victories that I am winning.  Like, I just passed up that brownie....small victory #1.  I didn't drink a soda today....small victory #2.  I made myself exercise even though I had a headache.....small victory #3.  It may sound silly, but it helps me stay encouraged. Lots of small victories throughout the day add up to large victories in the long run!



*To view the post that started the weight-loss journey, click here.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you Amanda. I too am getthing healtier. I started about the beginning of October and went from 328 to 308. I have been doing this by counting my calories and ending late night desserts. :)
    I have also found it helps to keep my trigger foods out of the house! I am envious that you have started incorporating running in our routine. I have always wanted to do that, but I'm scared to try. Maybe some day soon.

    I just wanted to send you a quick note that I'm proud of you and wanted to let you know I'm right there with ya!

    Hugs,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Heidi! Awesome job losing 20 lbs.! Thanks for the encouragement. I really do appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. keep up the good work, and remember that muscle weighs more than fat. So as you work out and run, your muscles will begin to grow and gain mass. I'm praying for ya cuz :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amanda, just wanted to tell you that Carol Nawlin Polk and Yana Wyatt teach a zumba class at the nutrition center across from the fire station every Tuesday and Thursday night at 6. Would love to have you!!

    Kim Nawlin

    ReplyDelete

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...