Wednesday, February 25, 2015

DIY Entry Organization Shelf

 
 
 
My little family uses our side entry more than any other at our home.  Our garage still has unfinished projects sitting in it so we don't park in there at the moment. Which means we don't enter our home through the garage and mudroom.  And while I do have a large pew in our entry, along with a few hooks for keys and coats, it hasn't been sufficient to keep up with all of our things.
 
This is usually how our entry ends up looking; coats, shoes, backpacks, and various other things strewn around as we all come in and dump everything. And it was driving me crazy!
 
 

While browsing Pinterest trying to find inspiration for entryway organization, I stumbled upon this blog post, and decided to use that plan to make an entry shelf with hooks. I really liked that it had a lip on it so pictures and décor could be displayed above. It only called for 1x8, a 1x4, and a piece of base trim to make the shelf.


I already had five hooks on hand. They were a brassy gold, but not in a cute way if you get what I mean. I decided to spray paint them with Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze paint.


This was such a simple project. All we needed was a nail gun, some wood glue and spackle, and some white paint to paint the wood.
 





We used wood glue to attach the 1x8 and 1x4, then nailed it in place with the nail gun. We repeated the same thing with the trim. After filling the nail holes with spackle and a light sanding, I gave the shelf a couple coats of paint and it was ready to be hung in our side entry.



My hubby screwed the shelf into the wall so it would be nice and sturdy and would be able to hold backpacks full of books. Once it was in place, I filled in over the screw holes with spackle and painted over it. Then we added the hooks. That's all there was to it.


I am so happy to have additional hooks to hang things in this space. It is exactly what we needed to make it a little more functional for us.





Remember this fun DIY Scrabble art? (See that post here.) I moved it over to this shelf from the gallery wall. I'm not exactly sure that I'll keep the items that are on the shelf there long term, but for now I am fine with it.





My girls were so exited to have somewhere to hang their backpacks. They both claimed which hook is their own and glad to help Mama by hanging up their coats and backpacks instead of leaving everything on the floor or piled up on the bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...