Thursday, June 05, 2014

How to Make a Gift Bouquet


This past weekend, my girls had their dance and tumbling recital and I wanted to give them the traditional flower bouquet for such an occasion.  They worked so hard throughout the year and I wanted to congratulate them on a job well done. 


If you have been reading Cultivate Create for any length of time, you might have gathered that I love to DIY!  My philosophy is why pay a lot of money for something that I can do myself for a fraction of the cost.  In this instance, I adhered to that very philosophy.  


I started by making a trip Winn-Dixie to pick up some fresh flowers.  They were three bundles for $12.  Since I was making two bouquets, I grabbed six bundles.  (They did have ready-made gift bouquets, but they were $18.99 each, and they were very small.....probably a fourth as big as the ones I made. And buying a gift bouquet from a florist would've been even more money!) 


I made sure I got greens, filler flowers, and showcase flowers. I wanted pinks, greens, and whites only. 



Once I got all of the plastic off of the flowers, I spread them out in my sink so I could easily get to them.  I kept some of the clear plastic from a couple of the bundles to use around my flowers. 


Making one of these bouquets isn't like a normal flower arrangement where you try to get a uniform look all around the container.  You want to try to layer with a definite "back" and "front" of the arrangement. That means starting with a green base.   


Once your green base is in place, layer your filler. I used Baby's Breath. 


Then, I layered the small green flowers and the largest flowers on top. 


Then, I layered in my "feature" flower, the hot pink carnations.  Once I got those in place, I filled in with a little more Baby's Breath to finish it out. 


Once I was satisfied with the arrangement, I wrapped the bouquet with the clear plastic and secured with a rubber band.  





Then, I wrapped the entire bouquet with some thick wrapping paper I already had from Home Goods, tied with ribbon and adorned the front with flower that can later be used in their hair if they want. (It has a bobby pin on the back.)


I was really pleased with how they turned out! For a fraction of the cost of what I would have spent at a Florist, I had large, beautiful bouquets to give my girls. 


I think they may have liked them, too! 





It really wasn't that hard or time consuming.  It is the first time I have ever made a gift bouquet like this, but it won't be my last. Not only for recitals, but maybe for hostess gifts or for birthdays.  



Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget