Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ten Essential Plants for the Southern Yard

I love this time of year, when fall is being ushered in and cooler weather is on the way. I  look forward to planting fall annuals like pansies, violas, and seeing the beautiful mums on porches. There is nothing like fall in the south.  But, I am a proud southern gal so I may be a bit partial. 

Fall is also a great time to get in your yard and work!  Plant new trees and shrubs after the heat of the summer is gone, but before the cold winter sets in.  Here, in south Alabama, we are in planting Zone 8. You can read more about that here.  (If you are not sure what your planting zone is, check here.)

I am getting ready to do a little fall yard work, and I started thinking about all the amazing plants that, in my mind, epitomize the southern yard. I have compiled a little list of some that I love.  


Southern Magnolia
source


Camelia 
source


Crepe Myrtle 
source


Azalea 
source



Knockout Roses 
source


Dogwood 
source


Hydrangea
source


Gardenia 
source


Daylilies 
source

Boxwoods
source

What do you think are essential plants for the southern yard?  Which ones would you add to 
this list?  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...