Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Sleep Deprived

 
I'm typing this with bleary eyes, sipping my coffee in the foggy morning light. I hope the coffee can infuse me with some energy that I so badly need to function today. I am running on only about four hours of sleep after having tossed and turned for hours last night, sleep evading me as I desperately chase it. I am weary of being weary.
 
I've had issues sleeping for a long while now. My husband has been trying to get me to go the doctor about it for months, and being the stubborn person that I am, I refused to go. Up until about three weeks ago. I had noticed since about January, when I started back to Zumba, that my energy level was almost nonexistent. I struggled getting through classes that I had previously been completely fine doing. Then, at the beginning of February, I went to Zumba again and just COULD. NOT. DO. IT. I had to leave about fifteen minutes into the class. I had zero energy, and little motivation. I was just plain tired and wanted to go home and go to bed. That upset me a lot. That's when I decided it was time to go to the doctor and I called to make an appointment the very next morning.

 


I not only struggle with falling asleep, I have a hard time staying asleep. I wake frequently, tossing and turning. I hardly ever feel rested, even when I have managed to get more than six hours of sleep. And before I have lots of comments telling me to take a prescription sleep aid or Melatonin, let me tell you why I can't or won't take them. The first reason is because those type of medicines, including Melatonin, make me feel like a very heavy weight is sitting on my chest and I can't breath. When I have taken that stuff, I have woken gasping and I am not taking something that makes feel that way. I have a couple more reasons, but I will just leave it at that.


 
 I finally went to see my doctor and he wanted to do blood work and have me do a sleep study. The sleep study was interesting, to say the least. If you've ever had one, you know what I mean. I had stuff stuck all over me, wires everywhere. The creepy part was knowing that they were videotaping me all night long and would be watching that video.
 
 
After a week and a half, I heard from the lady that reads the study and she said that I woke around forty times, stopped breathing twice, breathed shallow to where I wasn't reaching full oxygen saturation a few times, and that my legs jerked quite a bit throughout the night. Oh yeah, and I snored all night long. BUT, she said that I didn't have sleep apnea and I would most likely be referred to an ENT. I have yet to hear directly from my doctor, so I will be calling today to find out a little more about what he's recommending I do. I really need to get some good sleep!
 
 
I really am just plain tired. I probably average around four to five hours of sleep a night, if that. And it's to the point where it has really caught up with me. If affects a lot of aspects of my life! Notice I haven't posted very much on the blog lately? I have about four or five unfinished posts sitting there waiting for the final touches before I publish, and I just haven't had the energy to do it.(That's the only reason I haven't been as present on the blog....I'm looking forward to getting some rest so I can get back into the swing of things.)  I can be really irritable, and it's really hard to find motivation or energy to get things that I need to accomplish done.

I really hope to know more soon and to take steps to resolve this issue. If you've ever gone through a period with very little sleep, I know you can relate at how it negatively affects your life. I'd love if you'd pray with me, for me as we try to figure this out. I'm just feeling a little run down here lately and am ready to feel like myself again. I really appreciate your patience with me not posting quite as regularly, and am thankful for your prayers!



Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget