Thursday, May 07, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Mermaid Party

 
 
A couple of years ago, before I started blogging, I threw a Mermaid themed birthday party for my daughter's fifth birthday. I've never shared this party, partly because the photos aren't that great....I was just starting to figure out my camera and hadn't gotten the hang of it yet. I was not quite in blogger mindset, and didn't get a lot of detail shots that now I would try to get when posting. With that being said, I still think that this worthy of a Throwback Thursday. This post may not contain the best Pinterest-worthy photos, but maybe you can get some inspiration if you little one is excited for all things mermaid.

 
 

 
I started with a backdrop. The rest of the party theme was built around this. I thought that this scalloped, fish scale backdrop was perfect for a mermaid party. I made a template out of cardstock, then traced it onto tissue paper, scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, and cardstock in various colors of blue with pops of pearly white and sparkly purple-pink. 
 



 
 
 
When we had this party, we had only been in our current home a year, and hadn't completed a lot of our projects yet. I set up the food table in what is now our office, and the rest of the party was set up in the dining room, but what is now our living area. 





I had cute names for all of the food, but I can't remember now what those were. The round tortilla chips were sandollars, but I still can't recall the rest.


I set this table up at kid height so that they could sit around it on the floor.



The rest of the party was set up in the dining room (before we made it our living room). I made an orb out of vines and spray painted it blue. We didn't have any lighting in this room, so I had to hang temporary lighting. The pink things hanging with it are glass tea light holders.




I hung a light we made out of a basket above the party favors. I used and Ikea light kit and had my hubby drill a hole in the bottom of the basket so we could run the cord for the light.




 

 
On the desert buffet, we served lots of blue sweets. Candies, cookies, and cake! My sister-in-law decorated the cake with ombre waves. It was topped with a DIY cake topper I made.
 






The kids, all wearing their favorite shade of ocean blue, enjoyed mermaid makeovers by my sweet nieces.  The got shimmery mermaid eye makeup and a whimsical mermaid hair clip that I made for each child. This was set up in the foyer before we painted the parquet.




 
 

After blowing out the candles on the cake, we served it up to some eager girls. They had fun sitting at their little table!

 
 

They look like they are in some deep conversation!




I think the kiddos had a great time and I had a blast planning this fun mermaid party! Hope you enjoyed this Throwback Thursday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...