Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Reader Design Dilemma: Lucy's Space




I recently heard from a friend, asking for some advice for her space. She writes:

First of all, I'm loving your blog. It's become one of my favorites. Secondly, I was wondering if I could pick your designer brain about a space in my house. We've always had a big picture over the fireplace but there so much wall on either side I wonder if there shouldn't be something there too. Or maybe just something taller on the top side shelves. I've included a photo. If it's not too much trouble I would love some advice.


Thanks so much, Lucy!

Let's take a look at her design dilemma.




The dilemma:  Asymmetrical wall.  The fireplace isn't centered on the wall and the built-ins are different sizes on either side. Currently, although the picture above the fireplace is large, it isn't a large enough scale given the size of the wall as a whole. 

So, here are three options I came up with for Lucy using her current gray wall color.  Three styles of design that share the same concept: embracing the asymmetrical wall with a modern gallery wall. 

One:  Cottage Chic

In order for the off-centered fireplace not to dominate your eye when you look at it, I added a sophisticated gallery wall that tricks your eye.  The soothing color palette of blues and greens are calming and chic. With the gray as the background, pops of teal and lime are all this space needs for added color.  A wood-toned light fixture, candlesticks, and natural fiber basket for holding toys or blankets grounds the space along with the boxwood topiaries and succulents. Two teal lamps flank the space for added light. (Most of the frames, the lamps, and some accessories are all from Target, making this an affordable design option.)

Two: Nautical Americana
This gallery wall, on a somewhat larger scale, also does the trick of drawing your eye up from the asymmetrical design of the built-ins.  Using nautical art found on Etsy, and anchoring the room with natural fiber baskets for storage and sea grass bin for holding toys or blankets, this space screams classic comfort.  My favorites items in this space?  The basket light fixture and the combination of red, navy, and turquoise. 

Three: Hipster Prep
This space is so fun, young, and fresh!  If you like a more contemporary, trendy look, then this one is it.  Most of the artwork is typography finds from Etsy.  And keeping the walls neutral with gray, it is easy to add punches of color with artwork, pillows, vases, and picture frames.  Also, since the walls are neutral, changing out the accessories in the room are a simple fix if you want to tone it down at any point. The sputnik light fixture and sleek chair add contemporary sophistication. 

I hope this helps Lucy envision her space and the potential it holds! To embrace the asymmetrical wall and go big with art or frames to draw the eye up. 

So which of design of Lucy's space do you like best?  Sophisticated Cottage Chic?  Classic Nautical Americana?  Fresh Hipster Prep?  Let me know! Leave a comment below. 

Do you have a design dilemma in your home?  Are you at a loss as to what to do in a particular space?  I am currently taking reader submissions to be featured on my blog just like today's post.  Email me at cultivatecreate@yahoo.com with the subject Reader Design Dilemma. Tell me about your space. What is your design dilemma? Include at least two photographs (looking straight on) of your space. I look forward to hearing from you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...