Tuesday, February 09, 2016

5 Things to Avoid When Trying to Lose Weight

Losing weight ain't no joke and it definitely isn't for the faint of heart. It's hard, it's tedious, and unfortunately, easy to derail with bad decisions. I've been contemplating the things that I try to avoid, the things that can influence me to make bad decisions when it comes to what I put in my mouth.(Note: Some of these may be a bit tongue in cheek.)

1. Those cute little signs that say "eat."


They're everywhere. In magazines, on Pinterest, blogs. I don't know why, but every time I've seen one of those "eat" signs or letters spelling it out, I've retracted from it like it was the bubonic plague. That's my gut-level reaction to them. I don't need a reminder to eat hanging in my kitchen. I just don't. I do quite well with that all on my own. Ya'll can keep your cute sign. I prefer not to hang subliminal messages on my kitchen wall.


2. The Food Network

Who doesn't like to watch The Food Network and find a new dish to try? Too bad that most of the dishes are hardly ones allowed on a diet. I just have to turn the channel. 

3. In particular, The Pioneer Woman

I love the Pioneer Woman. Love her! But, I can't watch her show without wanting to cook one of her dishes for supper. And they aren't diet approved, either. I don't know how she and her family aren't big as houses. I just have to turn the channel. It's torture to keep watching while dieting.

4. Going to a party hungry

Yep. This is definitely a way to derail all of your hard work. For example, this past Sunday night after church, my Sunday school class watched the Superbowl together. And there was food. Lots and lots of food with lots and lots of carbs. Yes, I baked a batch of maple bacon cookies to take with no plans of eating any myself, but I also brought a veggie tray and hummus for healthier snacking. Anyway, I literally had anxiety about walking in and facing all of that food. There was pizza (I love pizza), various dips with chips and crackers, and tons of deserts. Ugh!!! I'm so glad I wasn't starving when I walked in because all of my self-control would've flown out the window. I was able to eat fruit, veggies, hummus, salad (many thanks the blessed soul who brought the salad), and a chicken dip without any of the crackers or chips. Not terrible for a Super Bowl party. I had one bite-size cookie for desert. (Literally one bite). 

5. Grocery shopping while hungry

Going shopping while hungry is a definite no-no. Your cart will go from looking like this....


....to this. For real. True story. When I know that I'll be shopping for a while, I always try to take a bottle of water and a diet-approved snack with me to keep from becoming ravenous. If not, my shopping cart reflects my body's longing for carbs. 


Do you have any other things you try to avoid while trying to eat healthy? I'm sure it's different for everyone. I'd love to hear from you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...